- 240 people enter this world every minute.
- 120 people die every minute.
- 80 people die without knowing Jesus Christ.*
By the time you finish reading this blog, 230 people will have died.
This statistic makes me swallow hard. It drives me to a quiet, reflective place.
We have work to do. The ministry of Run hard. Rest well. exists so we are able to run our race in a strength, with a purpose, with a vibrancy not our own.
Rest is delightful in every way, but rest was crafted for a purpose.
A divine purpose.
We are all running a race, but it often feels like a treadmill, even a rodent wheel.
The Rat Race robs us. The price tag is hefty.
To run our race and run it well, we need to revisit the truth behind four key words: Conviction. Commission. Commitments. Calling.
Conviction is an invitation and a driving force to prioritize our life in a way that is directed and empowered by the Holy Spirit. Left to ourselves, comfort, convenience and self-absorption nudge their way into our thinking, our doing, our values and our calendars. None of us are immune.
Do I live under the deep conviction that God is the Potter and that I am a vessel made on purpose for a purpose?
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord …” Jeremiah 29:11a
“May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands.” Psalm 90:17
Yes! Truth be told, I don’t always like the phrase “for us.”
“The Lord will (my emphasis) fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever—do not abandon the works of your hand.” Psalm 138:8
- The motivation behind God’s purpose is love.
- His purposes for me are long term endeavors. It takes determination on both ends. God’s good to go. Are we? Are we determined to live under the conviction that God has a plan for my life above convenience and comfort?
* These figures represent my best understanding of the statistics I gleaned from various resources. The numbers were rounded to give us a rough, memorable handle. Can you tuck them into your heart? Please contact me if you have information/statistics that would be helpful on this topic. Thanks!
How is your heart these days? Where are you convicted?
Is This Your First Time Here?
Welcome! We’re a group that gathers around the theme, “There has to be a better way.” We’re finding it in the 4-word mission statement, “Run hard. Rest well.”
- It’s a journey into the heart of God. It comes our way through an on-going exploration of four biblical rhythms that revive, replenish and restore: Sabbath Keeping, Sleep (and other simple stress-reducers), Stillness—personal retreat, and Solitude—personal retreat.
- It’s an expedition that challenges us at every turn. It convicts us in deep, tender places. It alters our priorities and plans. It’s not for the faint of heart.
- It’s adventure at its best – as we learn to run the race in a power not our own.
Brenda Jank is a thought leader in the arena of Restorative Wellness. Find additional resources and support for yourself and those you love, lead and serve at www.RunHardRestWell.org